The original section of Grant School #7 was constructed in 1899. On April 8, 1946, School #7 suffered a devastating fire which sent 422 pupils and 20 teachers marching from three floors in less than two minutes after the alarm was sounded. A roofer's soldering iron heated the metal gutter and set fire to a squirrel's nest underneath, leaving only the brick walls of the school standing. Children attended School #11 part-time. After soil tests were done, School #7 was rebuilt on the same corner at Summer Street and Myrtle Avenue in 1949, with a new addition in 1992. The dedication service for the main building was held on Saturday, November 5, 1949. In 1992, the Venice Harvey Annex was constructed adding a multi-purpose room and additional classrooms. Ms. Harvey was a former principal at School #7. A prekindergarten addition has been added to the school.