|Columbia School #9, built in the early twentieth century, was a yellow brick building. Located on Columbia Avenue and Jackson Street, it was abandoned in 1945 and converted into an office building.
In 1949, the school reopened to students while Number 10 was being refurbished. The school had ceilings and windows that were 13-feet high. From 1950-67, the building was used for adminstrative offices.
In the fall of 1967, it was opened again as a school through June 1984. In 1973, School #9 was the only non-graded school in the city.
In 1986, the yellow brick building was converted into the Schoolhouse Condominiums.
In September 1984, Etta Gero School #9 opened in the old Pope Pius XII High School at 140 First Street.